This anthology of Elizabeth David's work, originally published in hardback in 2000, is a direct sequel to 'An Omelette and a Glass of Wine'. It again contains a selection of her journalistic and occasional work from four decades. Much of it she had chosen herself for reprinting in this more accessible form. In addition there is a considerable amount of unpublished material found in her own files, or contributed by friends to whom she had given recipes, or to whom she had sent letters, either with notes in answer to queries or giving details of current research.
None of the material here appears in any of her other nine books. The emphasis throughout is on the practical aspects of cooking and eating, and the book contains over 150 recipes. These stem from many different countries, but they all have Elizabeth David's unmistakable personal touch – a Mediterranean tomato consommé or a typically English raspberry ice cream. Little-known articles on her many and varied likes and dislikes complete a unique picture of what for so long made her the most influential cookery writer in the English language.
Her work is always immensely readable, elegant and witty, and she has a wonderful ability to share her sense of season and place, her passionate interest in food, its history, its myriad styles and its role in society. There is much here to enjoy both for dedicated Elizabeth David fans and for those who are new to her writing.
Elizabeth David CBE was a British cookery writer who, in the mid-20th century, strongly influenced the revitalisation of the art of home cookery with articles and books about European cuisines and traditional British dishes.
'This posthumous collection of essays reminds us not only what an intelligent writer she was – one of the finest ever composers of long sentences – but also how sharp in every sense. This book is a taste of lemon after a diet of sugarplums.' - Bee Wilson, New Statesman
Author: DAVID ELIZABETH
Publication date: 01/09/2016
Dimension: 198mm X 129mm
- A flat rate of $10 shipping is charged on all orders within Australia.
- Orders will be dispatched within 24 hours of placement or next business day.
- Any orders over $150 are shipped free of charge
- Orders are shipped via Australia Post
- In most cases orders will be received within 3-7 business days of shipping.
If for any reason an item is not what you expected, the wrong colour or size, or you have simply changed your mind, it can be returned for an exchange or credit note (valid for 3 months). Please note that an item will only be accepted for exchange or credit note under the following conditions:
- The item is unused, unworn and in brand new condition with packaging intact and the original labels attached.
- A copy of a valid receipt is included with the return.
- The item is returned within 14 days of the original receipt
- Please note that all conditions must be strictly adhered to in regards to returns and exchanges otherwise they will not be accepted under any conditions